Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Are SCBWA bills estimated?

Bills are based on actual usage.  The only circumstance a bill would be estimated is if the radio read device (MXU) is not able to communicate with the handheld readers.

Can I sign up for auto-pay?

Yes, by one of the following methods.

  • Enroll in auto-pay through ACH with a checking or savings account, which is processed by Authority customer service representatives
  • Use the Customer Portal where you can also sign up for AutoPay with a checking or savings account
  • Use the third-party site with a checking or savings account or credit or debit card

All of these options can be found on our Payment Options page.

Do you offer e-billing?

Yes, SCBWA now offers e-billing. Please email the office at with your account number and property address to be signed up. Customers can also enroll in e-billing through the Customer Portal. Once enrolled in e-billing, you will receive your bill via email when it becomes available. E-billing does not enroll you in auto-pay.

How often will I receive my bill?

State College Borough Water Authority bills are mailed quarterly on the twentieth of the month or the next business day according to the pre-fix letter on your account number (ex. A-1111-111-1). The following is a schedule of the billing cycles:
                  "A" & "D" - January, April, July & October
                  "B", "H" & "P" - February, May, August & November 
                  "C" & "F" - March, June, September & December 

***Accounts associated with pits and vaults are billed monthly.

What is an EDU?

An EDU (Equivalent Dwelling Unit) is the average water use of a residential residence on our system of 150 gallons per day.  This number is used to determine the total number of EDU’s to be charged for new projects on our system based upon the estimated demand supplied by the project engineer. The request for service to a single family residence is one (1) EDU.

What is doxo?

Doxo creates a unique payment page for the utility provider that includes information which could lead customers to believe the utility provider is affiliated with doxo.  Doxo may add their own convenience fees and this has the tendency to frustrate unsuspecting customers and results in them questioning the utility provider.   Doxo uses search engine optimization tactics to display their website as an online payment option, potentially being shown before our online payment portal on search results. Although SCBWA and doxo are not affiliated with each other , doxo is a legitimate business that provides a centralized payment hub and some customers may choose to use them to manage their portfolio of online payments.

What is the meter capacity charge?

Approved by the Authority Board and established in April 2017, the meter capacity charge is a monthly flat-rate surcharge for providing water through the meter to the customer. It is based on the carrying capacity of the meter. Larger meter sizes will have a larger meter capacity charge. Everyone on the SCBWA system will have a meter capacity charge.

Where do I pay my water bill?

Payment may be made online or mailed to:

                  State College Borough Water Authority 
                  1201 West Branch Road 
                  State College, PA 16801-7697

Bills may also be brought directly to our office at the above address or placed in our night-time mail slot. The Authority accepts Master Card, Visa, Discover, and American Express and offers Automatic Cash Withdrawal. 

Why is my water bill so high?

High consumption may be due to additional people in the house, summertime watering, etc., or a leak. All faucets, toilets, water softeners, etc., should be checked immediately and a qualified plumber called if a leak is suspected. You may always call the Water Authority office for advice on ways to locate water leaks 

Will I be charged for service calls?

If we are called to your home or business after regular business hours, including weekends or holidays, and the problem is inside the building; it is your responsibility and you maybe billed a $200 service charge. 

I don’t have any water pressure. What is going on?

Low or no water pressure is usually caused by something internal. Some of the most common causes are a bad pressure reducing valve (PRV), a malfunctioning water softener, a bad backflow preventer (BFP), or a faulty valve on your water lines. Occasionally, the low pressure may be caused by an issue on the water service line leading to your house, such as a leak on the line underground. All of these things are the homeowner’s responsibility to maintain and repair.



If I see water bubbling up in the street, what should I do?

Call our office (814) 238-6766 or the after hours number (1-800-479-0050) immediately! This could be due to a water main break and your prompt response could save water and prevent damage to property

What do I do if my water pressure suddenly increases or decreases?

Call our office and we will attempt to isolate the cause over the phone, if we are unable to locate the problem, we will dispatch personnel to check for the cause of the problem.

What do I do if water is leaking in my basement?

You may have a leak on your service line. If you can turn the water off using your master shut-off valve, located inside or near your meter, do so immediately and call a plumber. If you cannot shut the water off in your house, call our office or the after-hours number and we will dispatch someone to turn the water off at the street until the repairs can be made.

Why don't I have water?

You may not have water due to several reasons. There may be a main break in the area, improvements to the water system are being performed or for violation of the Rules and Regulations of the Authority.

How do I know if I have a leak?

The easiest way to find out if there is a leak somewhere in your home is to check your water meter. The new meters have a leak indicator on the dial face. This indicator resembles a small triangular propeller. If it is turning, even very slowly, and no water is being drawn, the meter is recording usage and you should investigate immediately. Toilets are notorious for running silently, sticking, starting and stopping and are a leading cause of residential leaks. To determine if you have a toilet leak; place a small amount of food coloring in the tank and let it sit for about 1/2 hour without flushing. If the coloring comes into the bowl, you have a leak in your toilet. 

A Guide to Finding Leaks


How do I read my meter?

Locate the water meter. It is a cylindrical unit located along the water lines. On the meter, the reading will look similar to an odometer in a car. If the numbers on the reading are moving, that indicates there is water being drawn or used somewhere in the property.



How does SCBWA read the meter?

Each meter has a radio read device (MXU). SCBWA personnel have handheld readers that will read your meter from the street.  SCBWA personnel will not have to access the property to get a reading unless the device is not communicating properly.

I’ve received a boil water notice from SCBWA. What should I do?

Do not drink the water without boiling first. Bring all water to a rolling boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water.  You should use boiled water or bottled water for drinking, making ice, washing dishes, brushing teeth and food preparation. You will be notified when the boil water notice is lifted. There is no exact timeline for how long a boil water notice will be in effect. SCBWA will not lift the boil water notice until the water sample is approved and permission is given by the PA Dept. of Environmental Protection.


What are your hours of operation?

WALK-IN: 8:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday

TELEPHONE: (814) 238-6766 - 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday


What part of the water lines is SCBWA responsible for?

SCBWA is responsible for maintaining the curb stop at the street, the meter*, and the radio read device (MXU) on the meter. These items are considered public. Any service lines from the street to your property, as well as the valves on your water lines, are the owner’s responsibility, and are therefore considered private.

*SCBWA is responsible for routine maintenance of the water meter. Any damage to a meter will be charged to the customer.


meter location


When is my backflow inspection due?

Backflow inspections follow a yearly cycle, and are due the same month every year regardless of when they were last inspected. For example, if your backflow is due in January and you don’t have it inspected until March, it will still be due in January of the following year.

Where do SCBWA funds come from?

SCBWA operates as a fee for service authority. SCBWA operational funding is generated from water rates and services provided, not tax dollars.

Where is my meter located?

Your meter is most often located inside your dwelling unit. It is most commonly in a basement, or if not, in a utility closet. If you have a monthly water bill, your meter will be located outside in a pit or vault.

Who is responsible for the water service bill per SCBWA?

Per SCBWA Rules and Regulations, the water bills for all residential properties are mailed to the owner, as it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure the water bill is paid. Our Rules and Regulations are available on the Authority website under Customer Service, Documents and Forms.

Why must someone be present when water is turned on?

Someone should be there for the turn-ons to confirm no water is running in the home and no leaks are found.