Frequently Asked Questions - General

SCBWA operates as a fee for service authority. SCBWA operational funding is generated from water rates and services provided, not tax dollars.

An EDU (Equivalent Dwelling Unit) is the average water use of a residential residence on our system of 150 gallons per day.  This number is used to determine the total number of EDU’s to be charged for new projects on our system based upon the estimated demand supplied by the project engineer. The request for service to a single family residence is one (1) EDU.

Locate the water meter. It is a cylindrical unit located along the water lines. On the meter, the reading will look similar to an odometer in a car. If the numbers on the reading are moving, that indicates there is water being drawn or used somewhere in the property.



SCBWA is responsible for maintaining the curb stop at the street, the meter*, and the radio read device (MXU) on the meter. These items are considered public. Any service lines from the street to your property, as well as the valves on your water lines, are the owner’s responsibility, and are therefore considered private.

*SCBWA is responsible for routine maintenance of the water meter. Any damage to a meter will be charged to the customer.

meter location


Each meter has a radio read device (MXU). SCBWA personnel have handheld readers that will read your meter from the street.  SCBWA personnel will not have to access the property to get a reading unless the device is not communicating properly.

Your meter is most often located inside your dwelling unit. It is most commonly in a basement, or if not, in a utility closet. If you have a monthly water bill, your meter will be located outside in a pit or vault.

Do not drink the water without boiling first. Bring all water to a rolling boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water.  You should use boiled water or bottled water for drinking, making ice, washing dishes, brushing teeth and food preparation. You will be notified when the boil water notice is lifted. There is no exact timeline for how long a boil water notice will be in effect. SCBWA will not lift the boil water notice until the water sample is approved and permission is given by the PA Dept. of Environmental Protection.


Yes. The Water Authority adds fluoride in accordance with state and federal requirements. Our personnel check fluoride levels daily.

WALK-IN: 8:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday

TELEPHONE: (814) 238-6766 - 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday