March 8, 2021
TO: ALL REALTORS AND CLOSING AGENTS
RE: INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING A FINAL WATER BILL
This letter serves as a helpful guideline to the commonly asked questions and issues that arise with final reading requests. Please review the following information with your associates.
- SCBWA should be notified of any closing on a property that has a change in ownership, as most will require a final reading. Because water is a lienable item, any bills for the current owner must be paid through closing in order to prevent unpaid bills from becoming liens against the property.
- Any payments will not be credited based on postmark. There is a drop box available 24 hours outside the office. Payments are credited the day they are received in office.
- SCBWA personnel are not able to obtain water readings on time if not given at least 48 hours notice. If a reading is requested without this allotted time, office personnel will be able to provide bill amounts over the last year for escrow, and will obtain a reading on the next available business day when time permits. During busy months, this reading may not be the next business day.
- Any account requiring an escrow of funds will be confirmed by a phone call from SCBWA with the correct amount due. Please do not send the escrow amount as it will be returned.
- Please notify SCBWA ASAP if a closing does not go through or is postponed. Any reading that is rescheduled after the initial reading will have a fee of $45.00 added to the final bill amount for each additional reading.
- There may be occasions when a final bill includes an outstanding bill amount. In these cases, the outstanding bill has an earlier due date than the final bill. This bill will incur penalties if not paid by the original due date. If there is an outstanding bill, two final bill amounts will be provided, one without penalties and one with penalties.
- Only the customer on the account will be provided usage or bill information. It is estimated that quarterly usage across SCBWA's entire system is 5,000-8,000 gallons per person per quarter. This information may be helpful to provide to clients regarding their potential water bills.
- The office personnel will provide an account number to you when providing the final bill amount. Please include this entire account number on your check to us to ensure the amount is applied to the correct account.
- SCBWA is requiring that exact names as they appear on the deed be provided on the reading request form.
- SCBWA is able to email final bill amounts. If you would like the final bill amount emailed, please indicate this and include your email on the final reading request form.
- E-billing is available for SCBWA customers. If this is something the customer is interested in, please indicate this on the final reading request form and provide their email, as well as a secondary form of contact.
These items serve as guidelines to the process required to ensure a smooth and timely transaction for final reading requests. If you have any questions, please feel free to call the office between 8:00AM and 4:30PM Monday thru Friday at (814) 238-6766, or email: email@example.com. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.